Take a look at Montreux as an event destination
Last week we went on a visit to Montreux to see what it can offer to event organisers. Montreux is just over one hour from Geneva Airport by train and a similar transfer by coach, with lovely views alongside Lake Geneva. The railway station is in Geneva airport with frequent, direct trains, which are clean and run on time.
We stayed at the Fairmont Montreux Palace, which is a 5-minute walk from the station. It is 5* deluxe hotel, traditional in style with 236 bedrooms and dates from the 1880s. There are 15 meeting rooms in total, some located in the main building and two separate large rooms connected by an underground walkway, which are suitable for exhibitions, conferences and dinners. There are also terraces and gardens which can be used for groups. The hotel is next door to the Convention Centre, so is in a good position to be used in conjunction with that and other hotels in Montreux which are in walking distance. Guests are given a travel card for public transport for the duration of their stay so if they want to go further it is easy to use the bus or local train.
Whilst there we also looked at some venues and activities in the area:
- Chillon Castle, right on the edge of the lake and has two halls for banquets and courtyards for summer events.
- Domaine Bovy, a small restaurant in its own vineyard which is suitable for meals for groups under 50 people and can offer a wine tasting experience
- Chaplin’s World, which was Charlie Chaplin’s home, the top floor can be used for dinners incorporating a tour of the house. There is a new museum in a separate building which offers a film experience and space for drinks and dinners.
- Ladreach is a chocolate maker and offers chocolate tasting and workshops.
- Ze Fork Vevey is a gourmet restaurant, with outside dining in the Summer and good for a dine around.
We feel that Switzerland is a good option for event organisers, as it is centrally placed in Europe and there are international flight connections through both Geneva and Zurich airports. It is perceived as a safe location and is rated as one of the most peaceful countries in the world. Although rates are more expensive than other destinations, the VAT rate is the lowest in Europe at only 8%.
If you are planning an international event and would like help finding a venue or for more information about Montreux, call us on 01780 484050.